A Great Story

The Good Samaritan Revisited

by Wayne Rice

One day, a priest was walking down a country lane when he heard cries coming from a ditch on the other side of the road.
"Help me! Help me, please!"
The priest stopped and strained his neck to see into the ditch. Then he called across the road, "What happened to you?"
"I was traveling to town when I was attacked, beaten, and robbed. Please help me, I can't move," the voice responded.
The priest paused for a moment. Then he yelled back to the voice in the ditch. "Listen, there's this guy called the Good Samaritan who always helps people in need. He should be coming down the road any time now. He'll help you. I don't know anything about first aid and I wouldn't want to make things worse."
"Wait, you don't understand, I'm..."
But the priest had already gone on his way.
Soon, another man came walking along the road. This man was a Levite.
"Help me! Help me, please!"
The Levite stopped in the road and looked from side to side. "Who was that? Who said that?"
"I did, over here!" called the voice from the ditch on the other side of the road.
"You talkin' to me?" asked the Levite.
"Yes, you! I was traveling to town when I was attacked,beaten, and robbed. I need your help!"
"Oh," said the Levite, gazing into the ditch. "You do sound like someone who could use some help. Wait a minute! Attacked? Beaten? Robbed? What a coincidence. That reminds me of a story a fellow named Jesus told! Ever heard of him?"
"Yeah, I know the story. Now, can you help me?"
"Actually, I'm in quite a rush. But I'm sure that someone else will be along shortly to help you. Someone called...um...the Good
Samaritan! That's it! He'll be along soon. This is a busy road, you know."
"Couldn't you help me? I'm feeling very weak, I can't..."
"I'm sorry, but I'm not the Good Samaritan. I'm the Levite. If I helped you, it would ruin the story. You wouldn't want me to do
that, now, would you?"
"No, I wouldn't want you to do that, but I think it's already...Wait! Come back!"
"Patience there, chap! I'm sure the Good Samaritan will be along shortly," the Levite said as he went on his way.
"Ohhhh...I can't last much longer," the wounded man said softly.
Soon another man came walking along the same road. He ran over to the ditch when he heard the man crying.
"Oh my goodness! What happened?"
"I was traveling to town when I was attacked, beaten, and robbed. Two other men have walked by and haven't helped me. Please help me. I can't move."
The traveler peered in at the wounded figure lying on the ground in front of him. Finally he said, "Wait a minute...you look familiar. Where are you from?"
"Samaria."
"Do you by any chance have a nickname?" he asked, suddenly excited.
"Me? Oh, some people call me the Good Samaritan because I helped an injured man on this road a while back."
"Yes! Yes! Well, sir, I was the man you helped! All this time I have been looking for you because I wanted to pay you back! Wow,this is great! I can't wait until I find my friends and tell them that I actually met up with you again! And now I can finally pay you back!
Look, here are two silver coins--exactly what you gave that innkeeper. I feel so much better having finally repaid you. This is wonderful!"
The grateful man, who had himself once been attacked, beaten, and
robbed, laid the two silver coins in the dust next to the wounded man and then cheerfully went on his way, whistling a happy tune.
"Wait, wait! I don't want your money..." whispered the man from Samaria. But it was too late. The other man was already gone.
And so, the Good Samaritan died quietly in a ditch by the side of the road.
Jesus told the original story of the Good Samaritan to teach us how to love. But like the grateful man in this take on the parable, we sometimes miss the point. Love is more than words; it's more than a feeling; more than doing what's easy and convenient. Love means getting down in the ditch with someone to give them what they really need. It means getting dirty and being inconvenienced. Sometimes it means laying down your life for a friend (John 15:13). Jesus did that for us.

Comments

  1. 'Love is more than words; it's more than a feeling; more than doing what's easy and convenient. Love means getting down in the ditch with someone to give them what they really need. It means getting dirty and being inconvenienced. Sometimes it means laying down your life for a friend (John 15:13). Jesus did that for us.' - I have to say that this statement is very powerful, however, not practiced very much, especially 'what's easy and convenient'. Believe or not I see that a lot, people tend to do things that are easy and convenient for them, but are not there when it is inconvenient to them. Thanks for sharing this story and encouraging words of wisdom. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good point mde here in this story. What good is it if we see someone hungry and cold and then walk away saying "God bless you, eat well and stay warm"

    Great post. I am going to meditate on this a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godbless you! Anna, for the contribution and am very sure that am not supposed to add to any part for you where totally honest with what you just said, I call that being led by the Holy Spirit.
    thanks always you can't begin to imagin how I feel when I wake up and see comments especially from friends that take time to read the posts.

    Godbless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Godbless you Micheal... it is a lesson for us all... even myself.
    I pray that we all meditate on the Word of God.

    Godbless you in Jesus Mighty Name Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:25

    AMEN!

    Most of the time many pay lip service to doing good and then when approached by someone who actually needs help, decline to help.

    I just want to add on that when we take on the eyes of our LORD Jesus Christ, then shall we see people through God's eyes, and have love and compassion for the less fortunate, the poor and the destitute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Sicarii, God bless you for the comment and I do hope that everyone who reads this post and comments dfrom these wonderful people of God, will greatly appreciate the posts and comments too.
    Godbless you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear Friend , God bless you as you leave your comment.
You are Special and I love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Todd Bentley, Divorcing His Wife!!!

Todd Bentley's Unholy Affair!

The Miracle Of Prayer